Badusha or Balushahi is one of the famous sweets in India. It pretty much looks similar to doughnuts but differs in taste and texture. This sweet is made of all-purpose flour or maida and deep-fried in ghee or oil and then soaked in sugar syrup. This holds a flaky texture. It’s our all-time favorite sweet. The preparation is not so complex as many of us think, it can be prepared with available ingredients at home.
- 1/4 Cup Butter – 1/4 cup
- 1 Tbsp Oil – 1 tbsp
- 2 Tbsp Yogurt
- 11/2 Cup Maida
- 1/2 Tsp Baking soda
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Water as needed
- Oil as needed
For Sugar Syrup
- 1 Cup Sugar required for sugar syrup
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Cardamom
- In a bowl, Take butter and whisk for a while. Then add oil and mix again. Once butter and oil are mixed well add in yogurt and give a stir. Combine sugar and baking soda along with this and mix well.
- In this mixture, add maida and rub it gently until the flour is well combined with the rest of the ingredients. The texture will look like bread crumbs.
- Add water slowly and mix as a smooth dough.
- In a wide pan take sugar and water required for the sugar syrup. If you like Cardamom flavor add crushed cardamoms and allow the water to boil. After 10 to 15 minutes, you will achieve one string consistency. Keep checking the mixture as soon as the water starts to boil.
- Now, roll and shape the dough as shown in the picture
- Fry the shaped babushka's in heated oil but in low flame. As we are frying them in low flame it takes some time to completely get cooked.
- After frying, soak them in sugar syrup for close to 20 minutes