Payasam or Kheer is a very popular dessert in India. It’s a kind of pudding made by boiling milk or coconut milk, along with Jaggery, Sabudhana, Moong dal/Rice/Vermicelli/Wheat Dalia, etc. It is also flavored with Ghee-fried Coconut pieces, cashews, Raisins. This version of payasam is much healthier than other payasam verities. We have used Coconut milk and Jaggery for the preparation. Although its made with Jaggery and other healthy ingredients, Moderation is a medicine for all.
Leave to boil at the point that suits you. Finally add a spoonful of ghee to make the aroma better.
Moong Dal Payasam
- 200 Gms Moong Dal
- 100 GMs Sabudhana
- 500 Gms Jaggery
- 1/2 Cup Coconut First Milk
- 500 ml Second milk
- 25 Gms Cashews
- 25 Gms Dry Grapes
- Water as needed
- 10 Cardamom
- Take moong dal in a frying pan and roast it until it releases a nice aroma
- To make the jaggery syrup take jaggery along with 1/2 cup of water. Boil this mixture until Jaggery dissolves. Let it not boil for long.
- Take the roasted lentil in a pressure cooker and cook it for close to 3 to 5 whistles on a medium flame.
- Take water in a pot and add Sabudhana in it and cook until it's done(As shown in the picture). Do not overcook Sago.
- Roast Cashews and Raisins in Ghee.
- Now take a wide pan and pour the second coconut milk and bring it to boil. Once the milk boils add the cooked lentil and Sago. Let them cook for few minutes.
- When it reaches the right consistency, add the first coconut milk, roasted raisin, cashews, and crushed cardamom.
- Allow it to boil for some time and add ghee at the end to get the better aroma.