Pickles are one of the traditional condiments of India. This prawn pickle is a must-try recipe as it’s finger-licking good. It holds a little heavier prep work but is worth giving a try. After trying this type of pickle, you will think several times before buying pickles from a store next time. You can keep this in the refrigerator and consume it for a month.
The same recipe can be made with mixed vegetables, chicken, etc. This recipe is tested several times and never went wrong. Whenever it’s made at home, we eat this more than any sides that are present in the place. Prawn pickles can be eaten with Dosa as well.
Tasty Prawn Pickle Recipe
- 250 gms Shrimp
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- 4 Tbsp Vinegar needed for soaking
- 2 Tbsp Vinegar for grinding
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder – 3 tbsp
- Oil as needed
- 2 Tbsp Jaggery
- 1 Lemon
- 25 gms Ginger
- 3 Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Jeera
- 1 Tbsp Mustard seeds
- 500 Gms Small onion
- Cut the prawns into 2 or 3 pieces if they are bigger. If you're using small shrimps, use it as a whole. Marinate with the required amount of salt, turmeric powder, and vinegar. Marinate for 30 Minutes.
- In a mixer jar, add ginger, garlic, cumin, vinegar instead of water and grind like a fine paste.
- In a non-stick pan, pour a little oil and fry the shrimp pieces.
- Pour oil into the heavy bottom pan (oil for pickling), add mustard to season.
- Add in the chopped onions and fry. When the onions become translucent, see if the oil rises to the top. If not, add more oil that's needed for pickling.
- Add the required chilli powder and salt
- Now add the ground ginger and garlic paste and fry till the raw smell from the ginger garlic leaves.
- Then, add the prawns, reduce the heat and let the oil separate.
- Once the oil separates from the prawn onion mix, add lemon juice and jaggery. keep the flame in low for 5 minutes.
- Now your prawn pickle is ready to taste !!