Cutlet is a dish made of Cooked and mashed vegetables or meats. Patties made from them are bound with a binding agent. Further dipped and coated with a batter and flour. Prepared patties are either deep-fried or gently shallow fried. Our fish cutlet slightly differs from other versions of cutlets because of the ingredients used and the method followed. Hope you give it a try and impress your loved ones.
What’s special about this recipe
This recipe is from my aunt’s kitchen (who is actually my mother-in-love). Firstly, I want to thank her for sharing this amazing recipe with a few other most delicious recipes. Learned not only recipes from her but also super good traits and tips too. Ok, Coming to the recipe. This is one of the best ever cutlet recipes. Making cutlets in this style will definitely put an end to your search for the best cutlets.
Cutlets are usually served as an appetizer or snack. But this cutlet can be categorized as an appetizer, snack, or best accompaniment. This goes really well with dal rice, Sambar sadham, Lemon rice, Tomato bath, Rasam Sadham, Curd rice, the list goes on and on.
- Ideally, these cutlets are made with Mackeral, Swordfish. These are thorny fishes but tastes soo delicious. But the throne free fish fillets does a decent job here by saving our precious time spent on dethroning. If you have a good time in hand, Better go with mackerel. Mackerels are known for their essential nutrients and for their mild sweet taste.
- The fish onion mixture before adding egg can be stored in the freezer for future use. Store it in a air-tight container. Thaw them by bringing it to refregirator before 24 hours. Add egg just before making the patties and shallow fry them to make fresh yummy cutlets.
- Use non-stick instead of iron tawa to minimize the oil required for frying.
Fish Cutlet Recipe
- 500 Gms Fish Fillets
- 1 Tbsp Fennel
- 3 Onion Finely Chopped
- Curry leaves Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt as needed
- 2 Tbsp Coconut
- Oil Needed for frying
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Firstly, take the fish pieces in a pan, add turmeric powder, salt, chilli powder, add less than 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Flip the fish pieces and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Check the doneness of the fish. If you still see water, either strain the stew, preserve it, and use it in fish curry.
- Dethrone the fish if necessary and crumble it by hand.
- Pour little oil into a pan and heat it. Add Fennel seeds and then curry leaves for seasoning. With this, add the chopped onions and saute well until they become translucent.
- Once onions are translucent, add the fish crumbles into it. Check for salt and spiciness and adjust if required by adding more salt, chili powder.
- Add grated coconut with this mixture.
- Switch off the flame and add the beaten egg into the fish-onion mixture.
- Before making the cutlets, Take a boll of the mixture and pat it gently. Ensure it is tightly packed, else it comes apart when placed in the oil.
- Make some patties and leave them for a while.
- Heat oil in a hot Tawa or nonstick pan. Lay the patties over the heated oil.
- Flip when it starts browning. Fry both the sides well.
- We usually move the cooked patties to the edges of the Tawa to drain the excess oil. Fry remaining patties similarly.
- Using Fish Fillets is the easiest option over using the whole boney fishes as the fillets minimize the time spent on dethroning process which is quite tedious and boring 🙂