It is not a Kolkatta special Kati roll. It’s not Arabian shawarma. Then what is it?
It’s a fusion chicken roll made with the fiery peri-peri kabab wrapped in a tortilla with some basic sauces. There are so many variants of rolls available and apparently all fall under the category of Kati roll or Shawarma.
This savory roll was so filling and just comforting and turned out to be a super hit in our home. The peri-peri kabab was so unique in taste and so went good with bread even without any sauces. This is definitely a worth experimenting recipe.
How is peri-peri kabab made?
Peri-peri masala is an Indian spice mix, typically consisting of pepper, chilli, coriander, cumin, salt and some herbs. Basically, it is known for its balanced flavour. When the chicken is marinated with this aromatic, flavourful spice mix, it becomes exquisite and makes each bite enjoyable.
- Mindfully opting home made chapathi/Roti over the store-brought wraps, makes the meal not only extra tastier, but also more fresher and healthier.
- Hung curd is the most versatile and best ever spread option that tastes equally good as the mayo. Why not? Truly and amazingly better than mayo.
Chicken roll recipe
- 500 gm Boneless Chicken
- 3 Tbsp Peri-Peri masala
- Salt as needed
- Bread crumbs little
- 4 Tbsp Yogurt
- 6 Tortilla / Chapati
- Cabbage finely chopped – as needed
- Onion grated – as needed
- Mayonnaise – as needed
- Chili Sauce – As needed
- 1 Tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- Take chicken pieces in a bowl and add peri-peri masala, ginger garlic paste, salt, and curd. Rub it on chicken pieces and coat them well. Let it rest for 30 to 45 minutes. Instead of peri-peri masala, you can even use 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp pepper, 1 tbsp cumin, and 1 tbsp of coriander powder for marination.
- After marination, just before frying add bread crumbs with the marinated chicken.
- Heat little oil in a nonstick pan for shallow frying and start frying the chicken pieces.
- Flip and fry.
- Slice the onions, cabbage, and fried chicken. Keep them ready.
- Heat the tortilla/leftover chapati and spread mayo or hung curd over it.
- Place onions, cabbage, sliced chicken, and drizzle sweet chilly sauce and roll it for serving.
- Easy Delicious chicken roll is ready to serve now.